Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chicken Bacon Bowtie Bake

I have been the beneficiary of online recipe shopping many recipes, especially from blogs. I am no fancy nancy in the kitchen. We are not healthy eaters. I'm just a wife and a momma who needs to feed her family. I'm always on the lookout for new and easy recipes to help us out of the same ole same ole rut.

This past December I was sitting in the hair salon letting the color "set" on my hair thumbing through a Family Circle magazine and I came across this recipe. The title, the picture (sorry I don't have one) and the ingredients were enough to spur my interest. So I typed the name of it in my phone and found it online. Weird I can't get to it now on the family circle site without a login. I made a few tweaks to it any way. But it was a hit in our house. Depending on the day I have a 3 year old who can make it difficult at the dinner table and I have a husband who has particular tastes as well. I have to be fair, I'm a difficult one to please as well when it comes to food. And we ALL liked it!!! I thought I better share this with the world, you know the world definitely reads my oh so exciting blog. So here I am, sharing my first recipe. Enjoy!!

Chicken Bacon Bowtie Bake

Ingredients
1-2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (12 ounces)
6-8 slices turkey bacon
1 pound pound tomato and spinach farfalle
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 10 3/4ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 1/4 cups shredded cheese

Directions
1. Brown and cook chicken through in skillet, cut into bite size pieces, set aside and keep warm.

2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook bacon about 5 minutes until crisp, chop and reserve.

3. Cook pasta following package directions, about 12 minutes. Drain.

4. Stir flour into milk and combine with soup and garlic salt in a medium-size saucepan. Simmer for 2 minutes until thickened; stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.

5. Return pasta to pot and stir in chicken, soup mixture and bacon. Spoon into greased baking dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

7. Broil 3-4 minutes until heated through and lightly browned. (broiling seemed odd to me, I did broil mine but I assume baking at 350 degree for 5+ would do the same)

There you have it!!! We had enough for leftovers. That's another sign that my husband liked it. He specifically said to keep it for leftovers and not to throw it away. A complete success in my kitchen book!!!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds pretty yummy. What type of cheese did you use?

Daysha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daysha said...

It called for Mexican blend but I just used what I had on hand: shredded cheddar cheese