Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fight for Preemies


It’s hard to believe it’s been 2 ½ yrs since my little preemie was born. 2 ½ yrs ago yes I would have been saddened when someone had a premature baby, but nothing like I feel today. Premature birth has rocked my world. The rocking of my world began at 12:30 am on Friday April 25, 2008. So I am taking part in raising awareness to the crisis of premature birth. Because of research and medical advances that have already taken place I was able to stay pregnant until week 33 after my water broke at week 30. First and foremost I give credit to God and His sovereign plan and His protection over me and my baby boy.
Do you know a baby that was born too soon, too small, unable to suck, unable to breathe on his own? Premature birth is a health crisis that jeopardizes the lives and health of nearly half-million babies each year. It is the #1 killer of newborns and can lead to lifelong disabilities. It can happen without warning and for no known reason. My situation is a clear example. I had a text book, so called perfect pregnancy until week 30. Until we have more answers, anyone’s baby, could be born too soon. Medical advances give even the tiniest babies a chance of survival, yet for many babies premature birth is still a life or death condition. It’s the #1 cause of death during the first month of life. And babies who survive face serious health challenges and risk lifelong disabilities. In half the cases, we simply don’t understand what went wrong. We need to fight for answers. And, ultimately, preventions. Eight states earned a better grade on the 2010 March of Dimes Premature Birth Report Card and 32 others and the District of Columbia saw their preterm birth rates improve. Following three decades of increases, in 2008 the nation saw the first two-year decline in the preterm birth rate, a 4 percent drop from 2006. The 2008 preliminary preterm birth rate dropped to 12.3 percent, from the 2006 final rate of 12.8 percent. The March of Dimes says 79 percent of the decline was among babies born just a few weeks too soon. Overall, the United States received a “D” on the report card, when national preterm birth rates are measured against the Healthy People 2010 goals. The United States has a high rate of preterm birth compared to top scoring states and, notably, most industrialized countries. March of Dimes, along with your help, is making a difference and saving babies lives.

So I do ask that you would take a few moments and visit the
March of Dimes website to learn how you can make a difference. Let's fight for these babies, so they don't have to.

One Day All Babies will be Born Healthy!

from this little bit...


to this big boy...


love,
Lyndon

3 comments:

Melodie said...

my goodness, he IS a big boy. must be from all the eating he's doing (like when this picture was snapped). excited to see you guys and holden is thrilled to see his friend.

MoDBev said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story and helping to raise awareness. I have been reading Fight for Preemie blog posts for days and it has been an incredible journey. I am so glad I found you.

McCain Family said...

I love that "big" boy! :)